Choosing a correct framework for automation is very important, the framework you choose will decide the complexity of your script. There are many types of frameworks which are now available, but the most popular one are:
- Module Based Testing framework.
- Library Architecture Testing Framework.
- Data Driven Testing Framework.
- Keyword Drive Testing Framework.
- Hybrid Testing Framework.
- Behavior Driven Framework.
Now the question arises, out of the above framework, how to select an ideal framework for the application? So, the answer is, it will depend on the following factors:
- Workflow of the application.
- Depends upon at which stage you are implementing the automation? Is it implemented in the middle of the development of application or the application is already developed and freeze.
- How frequently the enhancements and changes in the application comes?
- How dynamic your automation script will be?
Workflow of the application.
The selection of the framework is also dependent upon the workflow of the application. Suppose an application is having complex functional flow in which the same functionality is needed to be tested with different sets of test data, then for such application “Data Driven” or “Hybrid Framework” is more suitable.
At which stage you are implementing the automation?
The selection of framework is also influenced by the current state of the application. If the application is in development state and according to the requirement the application is not having complex functionality and if there is no need to test the same functionality with the different set of test data, then Module Based Testing Framework or Library Architecture Testing Framework can also be used.
How frequently the enhancements and changes in the application comes?
Before selecting a framework, one should also calculate how often an enhancement or changes in the application can come, if the enhancement is too much frequent in the application, then I would suggest you to select “Hybrid Framework”.
How dynamic your automation script will be?
In your application, if the test data is always going to be the same and if there is no need to manipulate the data, then, in that case, you can again choose Module Based Testing framework or Library Architecture Testing Framework.
Before choosing a framework always analyze the nature of the application you need to automate and keep the following points in consideration:
- Reusability of code
- Maximum coverage
- Low-cost maintenance
- Minimal manual intervention
Basic Diagram of Automation Framework:
If you have any query or want more information on Automation Framework, contact us today at +1-484-876-1867 or send us a message.