In Moodle, site administrator has access to install new theme or change theme. Custom themes are available on Net and Moodle Plugins directory.
In this blog I will explain you “how to install new theme in Moodle site” and “Steps to change the theme”
How to Install theme: To start with, you need to first go to Moodle Theme Page, on this page you can find lots of Moodle theme.
- Select one theme as per your Moodle site requirement. Download the zip file of the theme.
- Extract to its own named folder and Using FTP and upload this folder to the /theme folder in your Moodle installation.
- Downloaded theme folder and its contents are readable by the webserver. Now you need to change file and folder Read and Write permissions.
- Go to Site administration > Notifications and check if the new theme requires any decisions or updating of Moodle code then Update it.
Theme is successfully uploaded on Moodle site, now to use uploaded theme on site. For that we need to change the theme. Follow below steps for change theme
Change The theme: For change site theme we need the permissions to allow you to change themes. In Moodle theme can be changed in different context. Moodle give facility to change theme as per your device. For example, you might have one theme for computers and another for mobile phones and another for tablets follow below steps to change theme.
- Go to the Settings block.
- Open Settings > Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme Selector link.
3. Click on “Clear theme caches” button
4. Click on the “Change theme” button on the right of the current theme default used for the device.
5. Scroll down to find your downloaded theme.
6. Click the “Use theme” button next to that theme.
7. Moodle will ask “it has been saved as the default theme”.
8. Check your Moodle site by going to the Moodle site’s home page.
9. You may have to refresh your browser to see the new theme.
“Theme is successfully changed.”